Rescued

Not my finest hour so I'd prefer not to dwell on the event. Here are the details from my perspective.





Mischief crossed North of the western TSS on Wednesday PM as the wind was veering from N F5 to NE F6,

I attempted to seek shelter in IoS through NW Channel but couldn't make progress against wind which was now E F7. The forecast was still saying NE F5/6 at this point.

Tried again for St Mary's Channel but couldn't get near it. Forecast was now for an extended period of E F8.

Around midnight I changed plans and decided to heave to and consider options. I discussed the option of drifting across the TSS with Falmouth CG but they were not happy and wouldn't issue a Securitie message or allow me to. There was a lot of shipping indicted on AIS but I couldn't see any of it.

At this point heaving to was the ideal option and Mischief behaved impeccability. I got some rest but kept drifting into the TSS so had to tack north. Only starboard tack was viable due to a problem. 

Eventually I painted myself into a corner where the Western and Southern TSSs meet. 

4AM decided to call it a day and sailed north. Near Pol Bank the sea state is the worst I have ever been in and when hove to things were manageable but sailing with about 1m of jib flying I was making 5 knots and being thrown around a fair bit.

As I passed Bishop's Rock the lee of the islands made things more comfortable and I tried starting the engine, It wouldn't start.

7:47AM I issued a Pan-Pan message and by 8:30AM the lifeboat had me in tow. The reason I couldn't make port tack became clear when I took the tow, the port jib sheet was wrapped round the anchor on the fore deck. Very simple to fix but not an option in the prevailing sea state and at night.







RNLI were fantastic. Everyone knows that Achilles 24 are wet boats but being towed at 5 knots into a F8 was very wet.

IoS locals and St Mary's HM were very helpful and supportive.

Falmouth CG were correct in their decisions and very professional. I would still call them if a similar situation ever arose.

It is far to early to consider what I might have done differently and I probably won't respond to comments / questions if that's OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is it all about?

JBC 2019 Cruise Report