Good progress and then a set back

I have needle gunned off the rust on the iron keel and taken it back to dull iron.


This took a day to do both sides and the noise and dust was horrendous.

The keel is primed with Hammerite No.1 Rust Beater. This includes the underside for which I had to raise the boat off the blocks. I also wirebrushed off the loose antifouling, another horrible job.








The set back. During this work I found that the rudder skeg had started to de-laminate. This appears to be where the steel section has rusted and blown the glass laminations out. 

I have asked the Achilles forum what they think but I fear that I will need to grind the rusty section out and fit a replacement piece; either stainless or iroko.

In other news I finished off the electrical panel and battery wiring. Just need to fit the solar panels and charge controller.

I am almost ready to lower the mast, just need to make some final mods to the A frame and wait for a calm day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is it all about?

JBC 2019 Cruise Report