Winter Sailing

The key to winter sailing is the weather and keeping warm. A couple of weeks ago I had a lovely sail after chipping the ice off the deck and softening the lines enough to allow them to travel through blocks and round cleats. There was a brisk F6 from the west and the temperature didn't get above 0C.


The outboard well make a nice ice bucket!

An absolute must is to keep warm. I had five layers on; thermals, vest, fleece, jumper, coat and my new super marigolds as recommended by a chap that had sailed to Svalbard. I didn't get too cold but could have been warmer. So improvements were planned. A chap at the club has some Finnish window cleaner (Joka) gloves and my aunt bought me some real wool (Perilla) socks. The gloves are great and with the large size I can get my thinsulate gloves inside them. The socks are wonderful, not only do they keep my feet warm but they don't need changing for up to a week, well that's what their web site says!


Back out last weekend and it was warmer but still damp, misty and cold. The new gear worked well. Next I need to get some boots that don't leak :-(.

I love sailing at the weekend, I was the only boat out on Saturday and managed about 40 nm in light wind conditions. I do need to be warm though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is it all about?

JBC 2019 Cruise Report